Are you curious? I certainly was when I read this in Russ Harris’ book, The Happiness Trap. I felt like I found a secret treasure. However, you don’t have to rush out to buy his book because I am going to share these 5 useful tips right now.
I use these 5 strategies when the demons on the committee upstairs are busy trying to paddle the boat upstream. You guessed it. I am usually struggling and entangled with difficult feelings.
Are you ready? Begin to connect to your environment by doing the following:
- Notice 5 things you can see.
- Notice 5 things you can hear.
- Notice 5 things you can touch or feel on your skin. I make a point to feel the fabric of my clothes and the texture of my hair along with other items in an arms reach.
- Notice how the ground beneath your feet feels as it supports your weight.
- Anchor yourself with mindfulness awareness of your breath. You can look back at post 10 Seconds and 10 Breaths for a reminder.
All this takes practice. Yep, ya gotta practice. When you are learning anything new, remember baby steps are okay. We all take baby steps before we can become masters of anything.
The purpose of doing these 5 strategies is to give your difficult feelings space. It may not change the experience of the storm. However, like the weather, storms come and go.
You can add to the list by leaving me a comment. What secrets do you have?